Financial advice

Nigel Farrar & Kirsty McGaun are from Legal & Medical Investments Ltd and are regular contributors to the NASGP magazine. 
Nigel and Kirsty's articles are designed to be informative but do not constitute financial advice. We recommend seeking specialist advice before making a decision.

As a freelance locum GP, the only way that you can pension CCG work under the NHS superannuation scheme is if you bite the bullet and become a salaried CCG employee. At retirement, you may get a separate Officer pension, or the CCG post may convert to Practitioner under what is known as the 'flexibilities'.

So why can't I pension my CCG work without becoming a CCG employee?

A GP (Dr X) who is solely a freelance GP locum cannot superannuate CCG work on locum forms A and B. This is because a freelance GP locum is defined under the NHSPS regs as follows....

"Locum practitioner" means a registered medical practitioner (other than a specialist trainee in general practice) whose name is included in a medical performers list and who is engaged, otherwise than in pursuance of a commercial arrangement with an agent, under a contract for services by:

  1. a GMS practice; 
  2. a PMS practice; 
  3. an APMS contractor; 
  4. an OOH provider; 
  5. or Local Health Board,

to deputise or assist temporarily in the provision of essential services, additional services, enhanced services, dispensing services, OOH services, commissioned services, certification services, Board and advisory work, health related functions exercised under section 75 of the 2006 Act, NHS 111 services or collaborative services (or any combination thereof)"

In particular, note that there is no scope for Dr X to superannuate CCG work if working directly for a CCG. Nor can Dr X superannuate their CCG work in any other way; i.e. as a type 2 (assistant) Practitioner.

A type 2 medical Practitioner is defined in the NHSPS regs as follows....

"type 2 medical practitioner" means a GP performer who

  1. is not a GP provider, and
    1. is employed (whether under a contract of service or for services) by a GMS practice, a PMS practice, an APMS contractor, an OOH provider, or a Local Health Board, and 
    2. in that employment is engaged wholly or mainly in assisting his employer in the discharge of the employer's duties as a GMS practice, a PMS practice, an APMS contractor, an OOH provider, or a Local Health Board; or 
  2. is participating in a Doctors' Retainer Scheme"

In summary, a type 2 is a salaried GP or long term fee based GP working for a GP Practice, an APMS contractor, an OOH provider, or a Local Health Board. By virtue that there is no reference to a CCG means that Dr X cannot superannuate their CCG income.

If Dr X has been an existing type 1 (GP Partners, single-handed GPs, and GP shareholders in GMS, PMS, sPMS, and APMS are regarded as type 1 medical Practitioners) or 2 (in addition to working as a GP locum) there would be no problem.

We find that Locums don’t seem to struggle to get a mortgage, unless they have only just commenced as self-employed and don’t have any accounts yet. We don’t find that lenders classify you as high risk, probably the opposite, and we don’t see a pattern of locums using a particular lender, so we would suggest that you discuss your options with an independent mortgage broker.

As with any one who is self-employed, when you apply, the lender normally sends us an accountants certificate for completion by your accountant. We basically confirm your last three years profits, your NI number and how long we have been acting for you. The lender also normally asks us to obtain Revenue forms SA302’s. These are Revenue tax calculations which are normally only issued when someone files a paper Tax Return. However, on request, the Revenue will issue these forms even when Tax Returns have been filed electronically.

See also

Computer says no – getting a mortgage as a GP locum

If you are a locum GP in the NHS scheme the practice must pay a 14.3% contribution to the locum, and you then pay that to NHS pensions along with your personal contribution.

If you are not in the NHS scheme, you can still negotiate an employer's contribution with the practice if that is your wish, although there is nothing contractual in place for non-NHS schemes.

No. This is one of the questions we get asked most at NASGP, since there's been a lot of conflicting advice over the years, not helped by some very strong opinions on social media. We've received exclusive clarification from the Technical Consultancy Team, NHS Business Services Authority (NHS Pensions).

Exclusive clarification from the Technical Consultancy Team, NHS Business Services Authority (NHS Pensions)

The regulations state that “a Locum practitioner may apply to join this Section of the scheme by sending an application [Locum Form A and Form B] to the Employing Authority.”

Members have 10 weeks to pension this work. If they do not submit the forms in time then this work cannot be pensioned. So in effect they do have a choice, if they choose not to pension the work they do at Practice A then they just have to let the practice manager know that they are not going to pension it so that the 14.3% is not included in the cash envelope.

If you are in receipt of a pension the rules are the same for your spouse or partner, whether or not you had been a locum GP, salaried GP or partner. There is a 50% spouse's pension, and if you have a dependent child under 23 then they get 25%, and if you have a child who has special needs and not capable of independent living then there is no minimum age applicable for them.

And if you are not married, you need to fill in form PN1 to nominate you partner to receive your pension benefits.

More NHS pension FAQs

Even as a GP locum there are some simple and affordable steps you can take to reduce the risk of losing out financially if you can't work through illness.

Your ability to receive income whilst off work through ill health whilst working as a GP locum very much depends on your employment status i.e. whether you're an employee, self-employed or 'worker'.

Remember that your legal employment status is something that is not necessarily determined by you, and is different to your tax employment status and your NHS pension employment status.

This FAQ is from the perspective of being a GP locum in the same practice for a 'long time', rather than about choosing working as a GP locum as part of your career portfolio.

It explains it from four different perspectives - NHS pension scheme, HMRC tax perspective, employment law and 'mission creep', and there's even an audio podcast too.

View FAQ

Load More

I work for a locum agency

I'm self-employed

  • If you're locuming in different practices using your own Terms and Conditions, managing your own bookings and determining the way within which you work, either manually or through platforms like LocumDeck, then your employment status is likely to fall within the self-employed status.
  • In which case, you don't qualify for SSP in that role.
  • But if you already have a Locum Insurance Policy, then this could cover you for up to £3,000 a week or 75% of your earnings for a year if you’re ill or injured and can’t work.

I work for an online locum platform

What about Permanent Health Insurance and Critical Illness Cover?

These are policies for much longer long-term benefits. Read this for more information:

Should locum and salaried GPs get income insurance?


Load More

Legal & Medical Investments Ltd is registered in England & Wales No. 3429678 Registered Office; Splatford Barton, Kennford, Exeter EX6 7XY Tel: 01392 832696.

We are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Entered on the Financial Services Register under reference 185193.

The Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate offshore investments, tax advice, estate planning and some forms of mortgages. The tax reliefs referred to on our articles are those currently applying in the United Kingdom to UK Tax Residents. These tax reliefs are liable to change. The value of any tax relief available will depend upon the individual circumstances of the taxpayer.