This is a new guideline from Nice. Empagliflozin is a selective sodium-glucose cotransporter-2 (SGLT-2) inhibitor, which blocks glucose reabsorption in the kidneys and so causes increased urinary excretion. For other SGLT-2 inhibitors have been approved by NICE, see my post about Dapagliflozin.
Empagliflozin use in Type 2 Diabetes
- as a 2nd drug in combination with metformin if they
- can not take sulphonylureas.
- are at significant risk of hypoglycaemia or its consequences.
- as a 3rd drug with metformin and either a sulphonylurea or a thiazolinedione.
- in combination with insulin with or without other drugs.