NASGP has been campaigning for 15 years to enable sessional GPs to become more involved in the structures and processes of the NHS across the UK. The recent changes to the NHS in England have started the ball rolling and help to set the scene for other UK countries to follow.
The number of GPs in your area working as sessional GPs will account for up to half the workforce, with the number of locums being nearly double the number of salaried GPs. With GP commissioning now an incontrovertible reality, it’s time to take a serious look at the role of sessional GPs in clinical commissioning, and their greater involvement in the NHS.
Why would you want to be involved?
- Work closely with other GPs to improve health in your area, allowing you to use purely clinical expertise or wider management and leadership skills.
- Perfect opportunity to ensure that sessional GPs are kept informed of all local clinical developments.
- Gives a fascinating perspective on health needs and resources.
- Challenges and develops leadership skills.
- All part of a portfolio career.