Because amongst other things it includes:
- An entitlement to one session of CPD per week for full time (and pro rata for part time)
- Paid time for practice meetings
- Whitley council pay for sick and maternity pay
- Recognition of all previous NHS work experience as "continuous" for the purpose of these entitlements
- Some employers are refusing to recognise previous NHS service as continuous so you must ensure that the contract you sign has an agreed date from which you are considered to have started in the NHS (usually when you started working unless you have taken large breaks)
- Ensure that you agree some form of annual pay rise, including seniority, as there is no provision for this in the contract and the current recommended pay range does not include a "ladder" which you can climb up automatically (unlike salaried hospital doctors).
- Check any amendments suggested by your employer with your local BMA Industrial Relations Officer.