We've asked the 3 leading UK medical defence organisations to let members know what they do for sessional GPs.
Medical Protection Society
MPS is the leading provider of comprehensive professional indemnity and expert advice to doctors, dentists and health professionals around the world. We are a mutual, not-for-profit organisation offering more than 280,000 members help with legal and ethical problems that arise from their professional practice. This includes clinical negligence claims, complaints, medical council inquiries, legal and ethical dilemmas, disciplinary procedures, inquests and fatal-accident inquiries.
Using our wealth of knowledge and experience we have developed a range of education and risk management resources that will assist you in reducing your exposure to complaints and claims. The portfolio available includes publications, conferences, lectures, workshops, E-learning and clinical risk assessments. 97% of members who used MPS say they would recommend us to their colleagues.
Medical Defence Union
The MDU is the UK’s leading medical defence organisation, a not-for-profit organisation wholly dedicated to our members’ interests. Our team is led and staffed by doctors with real-life experience of the pressures and challenges faced in practice.
We offer members expert guidance, personal support and uncompromising defence in addressing medico-legal issues, complaints and claims. Our customised services range from legal assistance, indemnity, training and risk management advice.
As an MDU member you can also benefit from the following:
- 24-hour medico-legal advice and guidance free via our 24-hour helpline (0800 716 646, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week).
- Medico-legal journal and publications. Our highly regarded journal and other publications are free to members and feature real case histories and articles on subjects such as complaints and confidentiality.
- Learning and development support, take advantage of our local medico-legal seminars, specialist training courses and online CPD.
- Member prices for CPD workshops, which are interactive and tailored to small groups.
- MDU online CPD, an online, free easy-to-use resource, which provides an introduction to medical ethics and law and helps you understand the principles and apply them to a variety of day-to-day practice scenarios.
- Free MDU podcasts are available on key medico-legal topics.
Visit themdu.com to find out more, or speak to our membership department on 0800 716 376 (8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays).
MDDUS is a mutual organisation that has been providing indemnity, advice and guidance on medico-legal matters to members who encounter professional difficulties for over 100 years.
Membership of MDDUS provides access to:
- Professionally trained medico-legal advisers who are qualified in medicine and are available to speak to you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Medical indemnity against claims of negligence
- Legal representation from solicitors who are recognised as the UK's leading experts in the medico-legal field
- Representation and legal support at General Medical Council (GMC) proceedings
- Help in dealing with complaints
- Assistance with disciplinary matters
- Legal representation and support at coroner's inquests
- Worldwide indemnity for Good Samaritan acts
- A quality, personalised service at a reasonable cost
The MDDUS Risk Management Team have produced a new range of CPD verified online learning and risk management tools. The majority of these resources are exclusively available to members and include video modules, risk checklists, blogs and expert interviews.
For an online quick quote or information about the range of additional benefits of membership visit www.mddus.com
Call our membership team on 0845 270 2038 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Twitter @MDDUS_News
We’re the independent not-for-profit support organisation run by and for any GP in the UK working as a locum or salaried GP. Please support our work by joining us as a full member, from only £11 per month, and includes full use of LocumDeck.