We've created a calculator to help you arrive at a ballpark figure taking into account covering your professional and personal running costs.
But in addition to your circumstances, there may be local factors at play which could influence your locum pay environment. If you’re new to an area or new to locuming, how do you work out what rates to charge?
Simply asking around is not option, with anti-competition laws being quite clear about the illegality of discussing rates with fellow GP locums.
Local factors that may affect locum pay
- Supply of locums - the more locums, the more potential for downward pressure on rates. We hear this from members in the more vibrant towns and cities, perhaps with a local GP training scheme that then attracts and retains lots of GPs to start out as locums.
- Presence of a dominant practice-facing online platform or agency. We hear from members that having one of these in your area can sometimes skew the pay and conditions of local independent locums in a downwards direction.
So how can LocumDeck’s Instant Book help?
With Instant Book, the whole point is that you carefully pre-define your booking parameters for each practice, including the pay rate, in advance, and then publish your terms and availability and wait for bookings. So you can make calculated judgements about the pay you would like to receive and use Instant Book to do the talking for you. Bear in mind too that the Instant Book process itself will add to your ‘value’, as practices are being offered a speedy, transparent way of booking a GP - a task that might otherwise cost them significant workload and resources.
Here’s how you can use Instant Book to experiment with your rates
- Add a local practice to your LocumDeck address book where you haven't recently worked.
- Set a sessional/hourly rate for that practice at the level that you'd like to be booked at.
- Activate that practice for Instant Book.
- Add 'Committed Availability' to your LocumDeck calendar as far in advance as possible.
- As and when practices Instant Book you, you’ll soon be able to use your judgement if your rates are too high or two low, and you’ll be able to adjust your rates accordingly.
If you run this experiment for a range of practices and add availability over a range of periods in advance, you’ll soon start to build a picture of the local factors that may affect your rate decisions.
Our experience of using Instant Book is that once practices have used it, they return to it as their favoured booking method, further cementing its value to them. It is a win-win tool - locums have more control over their work and pay, whilst the practice saves significant resources in finding and directly booking locums.
Optimise your settings to maximise your bookings
- Adding a photo of yourself helps
- Help the practice manager by adding helpful documentation and information about yourself in your Credentials area
- You can upload your patient and colleague feedback surveys
- Highlight your experience or any special skills you have in the freetext Professional profile area
We’re the independent not-for-profit support organisation run by and for any GP in the UK working as a locum or salaried GP. Please support our work by joining us as a full member, from only £11 per month, and includes full use of LocumDeck.