This is a new guideline from NICE giving advice about managing discharge from hospital safely. Most of this we already do. There are a couple of points worth noting:
- Patients felt to be at risk of re-admission need a GP or nurse visit or phone call 24 - 72 hrs after discharge.
- Palliative care patients should be followed up by an 'appropriately trained practitioner' 24 hrs after discharge.
- Ensure that on admission, all relevant information is handed over, eg advance care plan information, next of kin information, any communication needs, housing status, known behavioural issues etc. This may mean a little bit more planning before going out on a visit where we know a patient may need admission.
Latest posts by Louise Hudman (see all)
- Multiple Sclerosis – Cladribine tablets (Mavenclad) - January 23, 2018
- Sinusitis treatment down to five days - January 16, 2018
- Latest endometriosis NG73 guidelines from NICE - November 2, 2017