Remember that there are two doses of dabigatran.
The lower dose should be used:
- in the over 80s
- if people are on verapamil.
You should consider using the lower dose if:
- 75 to 80 yrs old oesophagitis,
- gastritis or GORD
- moderate renal impairment
Are you confused about these new drugs and what can be used when? I certainly was, so here's a summary of which has what NICE approval.
- AF: dabigatran, rivaroxaban and apixaban
- Prevention of VTE after hip surgery: dabigatran, rivaroxaban and apixaban
- Treatment and prevention of DVT and PE: dabigatran and rivaroxaban (apixaban is likely to get approval later this year)