Capita’s pension invoice teething troubles begins to bite locum GPs

GP locums in England and Wales have been experiencing some issues with the administration of their pension payments since Capita have taken over running the scheme. NHS Business Services Authority (NHS Pensions) met with NHS England earlier this week and raised the issues of issuing of receipts, which address locum pension forms should be sent to, and of cheques not being cashed in a timely manner.

This issues relating to cashing of cheques and issuing of invoices will now be taken by NHS England direct to Capita, and we'll update you here as soon as we hear this has been resolved.

NHS England have provided us with an address for locums to send the cheques and paperwork, but they only send to this address if their local office has closed (you can find out whether your office has closed from the PCSE website).

Primary Care Support England,
PO Box 350,

[Tweet "How long will it take @capitaplc to resolve issuing receipts for GP pensions?"]

We’re the independent not-for-profit support organisation run by and for any GP in the UK working as a locum or salaried GP. Please support our work by joining us as a full member, from only £11 per month, and includes full use of LocumDeck.

5 Responses

  1. Olivia
    Can't sort this soon enough. Darlington staff had never even heard of locum A and B forms and then said it would be dealt with at Preston office who were not contactable by telephone. Emails were not replied to and in the end I had to cancel my cheque as no faith that even if cashed it would end up in the right place. The whole set up is farcical and 10 week rule unenforceable. Let's hope it gets sorted asap.
  2. Saibal De
    I have had no end of problems with my pension contributions anyway, and am extremely nervous of the imminent move of my local area team's services to Darlington. If they don't acknowledge receipt of my forms or cash my cheques in time (both of which have been chronic problems with my LAT), then I'm screwed. It's simply not possible to keep several thousand pounds sloshing around in a current account on the off-chance that PCSE will decide on a whim to cash them in at any random time. If they haven't even heard of locum A and B forms Lord have mercy on us. On top of all that I'm going on holiday for 7 weeks in November and will not only have to rely on practices paying me electronically in time but ensuring they send their forms electronically too, and I'll be armed with my chequebook to post everything from whichever corner of the world I'll be in at the time. If they had tried to make it more difficult they wouldn't have succeeded.
  3. I hope the following will help To: GP Locums who wish to pay by BACS or FPS When submitting your Locum A and B forms we will require a copy of your BACS/FPS submission confirming the date of payment and amount paid. Unfortunately we cannot update our records until this has been received. To summarise: • Payment to be made to: Bank: Nat West Account name: NHS England Account Number: 10014896 Sort Code: 60-70-80 • Quote Our Reference as: PCSE-Q47-LOCUM (plus surname or initials) • Once payment has been made submit Locum A and B forms either by e-mail to or by post to the address below. • If the forms are being submitted by email the Subject Header should read Locum Payment – (and your surname and initials) and the forms should be scanned and sent as a single PDF attachment with the Locum B at the front together with a copy of the BACS/FPS submission. • If the forms are submitted by post the envelope should be marked Locum Pension. Please ensure that a copy of the BACS/FPS submission is enclosed with the forms • All emails received are acknowledged then sent for processing. • Forms must be submitted within 10 weeks as per NHS Pensions regulations. If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact the Pensions Section, Primary Care Support England, Preston Office by e-mail to or telephone 01772 221444. Pensions Section Primary Care Support England Preston Office 3 Caxton Road Fulwood Preston PR2 9ZZ
    • GMPC
      Thanks for the above advice Jeanne, it sounds like you might work for PCSE. Why isn't this information not on Primary Care Support England's website and why are you not using the email addresses or postal adddress which every Locum GP has to provide on their form B to furnish everyone with this information. It seems like a small investment of time to save yourselves hours of processing forms and cheques submitted by post. I spoke to someone in the PCSE pensions department the other day who said she'd never seen so much paper and that our cheques potentially bounce around between three different offices in the north west, for up to two months before being cashed (or not). Please please sort this out, it's such a time consuming, inefficient mess.
    • Ernst
      I'm trying this option of sending my payment via BACS but my bank doesn't allow that many characters in the reference block. I run out of letter at the start of my surname. Any ideas or other options to right in the reference block?

Leave your comments