When NASGP met Essex EQUIP...
Here at NASGP, we’ve always been impressed by the pro-active approach that EQUIP have taken to include and support their sessional GPs and treat them as a valuable, flexible part of the GP workforce who are very much part of the solution in supporting struggling practices. EQUIP has for a long time maintained a locum register which has grown to become an indispensable resource, but demand has outstripped the ability to maintain it at the sort of level that practices and locums need to increase capacity and support practices and locums at the level they need.
So NASGP has been working closely with the Essex EQUIP team to develop LocumDeck to be easy to use by locums and practices and at the same time generating resources to support sessional GPs locally.
Enter NASGP and LocumDeck
Founded in 1997, NASGP is a not for profit membership organisation run by sessional GPs. LocumDeck is part of NASGP’s evolving Practeus platform - an online platform for general practice, and is the embodiment of NASGP’s twenty year commitment to supporting sessional GPs and promoting safety and quality by fostering good working relationships between practices and GP locums.
LocumDeck is an easy-to-use yet sophisticated online tool that gives GP locums full control over how they work and, when using the Instant Book option, gives the locum and practice everything they need to book GP locums instantly. It reduces booking errors, avoids misunderstandings, saves precious time, and has the potential to open up much-needed GP capacity.
Where LocumDeck efficiently and safely engages GP locums, the Standardised Practice Information Portal (Spip) component of Practeus then welcomes and inducts these often isolated GP locums into an ecosystem of practice-specific information presented in an easy-to-navigate standardised format and shared by all GP staff within the practice and across networks of practices and CCGs.
LocumDeck offers GP locums
LocumDeck offers GP practices
Choose how to use LocumDeck
It’s up to you. You can just use it for quickly generating invoices, with automatic pension forms. Or in advance of the session, use it to ensure you have a booked session audit trail, complete with full online calendar that both you and the practice have access to. Or use LocumDeck’s full potential to allow practices to book you direct using Instant Book.
What does it cost? The deal for Essex...
Thanks to the collaboration between NASGP and Essex EQUIP, preferential terms apply for GP locums who are working in Essex;
- GPs get full membership of NASGP free for 12 months from 1st June 2017.
- After the first 6 weeks of you first signing up, any Instant Book sessions (any session booked instantly, online, by the practice) attract a tax-deductible service charge of 5% inc VAT of the session fee payable by the GP locum, which you can of course reflect in your session rates. NB you are not in any way obliged to use Instant Book if you don't want to, and there is no service charge for any online bookings that you make yourself.
For practice managers
Practice membership of NASGP is free and allows:
- Advertise as many locum sessions as you need
- Full use of LocumDeck
- Set up and share a Spip
- Full access to the NASGP website, including access to our special area for GP practices, designed to help you make your locum sessions more productive.
This is central to how Instant Book works. By the GP locum fully committing to all sessions that they make available for Instant Book to specific practices that they choose within LocumDeck, those chosen practices can be assured that all the locum availability that’s shown to practices is completely accurate.
GP locums get to set the parameters around their availability in great detail; from defining which practices they are willing to work in, when they want to work, and the duties and workload they are prepared to undertake in each practice setting.
Committed Availability removes the need for practices and locums to undertake discussions by phone or email, reduces the chances of double-bookings, misunderstandings or other problems occurring on the day. It allows GP locums to use their professional judgement in setting the boundary around what work they feel they can safely carry out in each practice.
LocumDeck is unique in its ability to allow GP locums to define every significant parameter concerning their acceptance of a session at any given practice, even taking into account average rush-hour travel times between practices.
Having defined these parameters, and manually activated the capability for each individual practice to instantly book them, the GP locum can then define any dates and times on their own personal calendar within LocumDeck - Committed Availability - and undertake a declaration to commit to a booking should the practice book them directly through LocumDeck using Instant Book.
This only applies if the session is booked by the practice using Instant Book, and is charged to the locum. As a GP locum, you can still use LocumDeck to manage all your bookings, including our automated one-click confirmation process, without paying anything more than your NASGP membership fee.
When GP locums are defining their sessional or hourly rates in their LocumDeck settings, they are free to define two versions: their usual rate, and an Instant Book rate that reflects the 5% service charge. Then, against each practice within their LocumDeck settings, apply the Instant Book session.
Therefore, when a practice finds a suitable match, they have the option to either book and confirm the GP locum straight away using Instant Book, or, if the locum has declared in their practice statement that they are prepared to accept enquiries, they can instead contact the locum via phone or email where the locum can then book the session on LocumDeck manually and avoid the 5% service charge.
We firmly believe that there should be no restriction on GP locums being asked by practices to become regular employed GPs or partners. NASGP does not impose any form of restrictive or exclusivity 'Trojan Horse' clause on either practices or GP locums, which could result in the practice being liable to pay the agency or platform some 15% of the employed GPs salary for one year.
Instead, practices and GPs can be reassured that they are free to offer salaried posts or partnerships without any financial penalty whatsoever. In fact, we encourage practices to use LocumDeck as a means of identifying future substantive staff!
In allowing GPs to tailor their terms and workload for each practice setting, which by definition the practice has to accept to make a booking, the Instant Book feature of LocumDeck gives professional autonomy in setting safe working boundaries.
First, you add all those important non-work commitments like holidays and family events. LocumDeck’s calendar clash feature will now block you from inadvertently adding any work into these slots without a big red warning message appearing.
Then you build your work availability around these. For each available slot you add, remember that a practice only ‘sees’ the specific session type you have set up for them that fits within the availability you define.
And then, that’s it! No more day to day hassle of responding reactively to booking enquiries and having to make rushed decisions ‘on the go’. No negotiating over rates or terms - the practice has already accepted your pre-defined terms in making the booking.
So you just wait for the confirmation emails, notification texts and your booking calendar to fill up with work within the professional framework that you have designed and have had full control over. And generating invoices and pension forms literally takes one-click, with the practice also getting their own summary on their LocumDeck.
- GP locums | Can I use my own T&Cs instead of NASGP’s?
- GP locum | How can I define T&Cs for specific practices
- GP locums | How does Instant Book work?
- GP Locums | How do I get all my essential paperwork to the practice?
- GP locums | I need to revise my invoice
- GP locums | I can’t see many practices in the list
- GP locums | What if I don’t want a specific practice to Instant Book me?
- GP locums | What if I only want a practice to Instant Book me?
- GP locums | Can I allow a locum agency to manage my bookings though LocumDeck on my behalf?
- GP locums | I have just received an email/text from LocumDeck saying that I have a booking, but I already accepted a booking at another practice.
- GP locums | Migrate from Locum Organiser and MyLocumManager
- LocumDeck | Known issues
- LocumDeck | Can I use LocumDeck on my smartphone?
- Superannuation | Locum A arrives the month after payment received
- Practices | How do I know that the locum is aware of a booking made via Instant Book?
- Practices | What if I book the locum at the same time as another practice?
- Practices | I booked a locum through LocumDeck using Instant Book, but they have just told me that they are already booked elsewhere.
- Practices | Print an invoice or save as a pdf
- Practices | I can’t see any locums in my calendar
- Practices | I have a complaint against a locum – who should I contact?
GP locum in Essex
- First register with Essex EQUIP using this form:
- Only after you've received confirmation from Essex Equip, join up as an NASGP Associate member using the same email address that Essex EQUIP use for you. As soon as that's done, we'll automatically adjust your membership to 12 months free.
If you're already a full NASGP member, please email us so we can organise you cancelling your direct debit.
Start having fun adding your Settings to LocumDeck!