This is mainly an amalgamation of advice about spotting, assessing and managing people with common mental health disorders. There is little that I could spot that was new, apart from encouraging use of the GAD2 questionnaire in screening for anxiety:
- During the past four weeks, have you been bothered by feeling worried, tense or anxious most of the time?
- Are you frequently tense, irritable and having trouble sleeping?
As a quick reminder – obviously tailoring to the individual!
- OCD – self-help CBT, or referral for CBT. Medication if this has failed.
- PTSD – refer all but mild cases straight away. Mild cases could be watched for a month, unless their symptoms are worsening.
- Depression – guided self-help first, then refer for CBT. Medication should be reserved for where the above hasn’t worked, or where symptoms are persistent for more than 2 yrs, or are severe or affecting their physical health.
- Anxiety – Self-help first, then referral for CBT or drug treatment, whichever is preferred.